BURP aims to develop a publicly distributed system for rendering 3D animations.
Currently this is a BETA project which means that certain restrictions apply.
Not all uploaded sessions will actually be rendered right away - and sometimes you will not be able to contact the schedulers for short periods of time.
Please note that this project is still in its testing phase and does not yet provide the security and stability of a
full-blown BOINC project.
Alpha users may upgrade their account by clicking
BURP is switching to ads
For a while now it has been difficult to run the project due to lack of proper funding. After many attempts at finding a reasonable funding model, or a way of commercializing the user base and the content, it was decided that the only way to move forward would be to show ads on some of our pages.
To begin with there will only be a few tiny ads on the web pages themselves, they will be almost invisible. We have made changes to the website to make sure that the ads do not draw all the attention; and we are constantly working with the ad-provider to make sure that all advertisements are relevant and high-quality.
Later, the plan is to use ads in the web player used for viewing video previews. Finally - depending on how the ads are received during these initial tests - we have the option of injecting and overlaying ads onto the rendered material itself. This works either as a watermark that you almost do not notice or as single-frame subliminal messages that very few people will perceive consciously.
Several different extensions of this model have been proposed:
1) Logged in users can pay to temporarily remove the ads for one month
2) Artists can pay to have ads removed on anything relating to their sessions. Whenever a new session is uploaded they will naturally have to pay again.
3) Video ads can be downloaded and displayed as the BOINC screensaver while rendering is in progress
4) We can add bitcoin mining to the clients so that 50% of the farm is used to generate funding at all times
31 Mar 2015 | 20:29:11 UTC
Continuously BURPing for a decade
On June the 16th 2004, the very first test renders started rendering on BURP. A lot has happened
since then and a lot of the original ideas from back then have now been turned into reality.
We aren't done just yet, so stay tuned for more in the next 10 years -
16 Jun 2014 | 16:59:51 UTC
Short film "Vetri" by Danan
Danan has completed his work on the movie "Vetri" that we've recently been rendering. This is the third, large, movie project that he has done - the former ones being "Tripping" and "Theevan" - and he has already promised that there is going to be more where it came from.
You can watch the movie and comment on it in his thread in the forum.
15 May 2014 | 18:20:19 UTC
Correction to the previous news post
A tiny little spelling error got into the news item from 1st of April causing it to look like BURP had been acquired by Facebook. The intended text was of course: "Happy 1st of April!"
9 Apr 2014 | 18:03:22 UTC
BURP has been acquired by Facebook inc.
In a short press release today the California-based company Facebook Inc. announced that they have bought the BURP rendering platform including all assets for $21 billion.
"Facebook Chairman and CEO, Mark Sugarbird" wrote:
I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire BURP, the leader in BOINC-based online rendering technology using Blender.
Facebook's mission is to make the world more open and connected. This has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.
BURP's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible.
Together the technologies open up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences!
The buyout is just one in a series of large technology investments made recently, but the price tag completely dwarfs that of the Oculus Rift.
As a consequence of this merger there is going to be some changes in the near future:
- All accounts will be merged with existing Facebook accounts and will be automatically converted to use your real name and personal picture (regardless of your security settings)
- We're adding support for playing mini-games while uploading sessions. You can add credit card information in the user account settings to make in-game purchases easier.
- Random delays of around 3-5 seconds will be added to the website from time to time for no apparent reason.
- If a session contains references to known living persons it will automatically post a link on their wall through WhatsApp with Instagrammed 3D previews from the rendered animation, easily browsable with any attached Oculus Rift.
1 Apr 2014 | 12:00:00 UTC
The PR department has yet to come up with a good name for the new platform but has revealed that to honor the legacy of both parties it will most likely be some combination of the words "face" and "burp".
Big Buck Bunny, Sunflower movie version released
In 2008 the Blender Foundation created an open movie called Big Buck Bunny and released it and the source files for everyone to enjoy.
The BURP renderfarm has been working on an upgrade - a stereoscopic, high resolution and high frame rate rework of Big Buck Bunny, completely open in the same spirit as the original.
Today you can watch the results for yourself:
You can post back comments in the Sunflower thread
18 Dec 2013 | 21:58:01 UTC
News is available as an RSS feed