The second page to open up in the new layout is the gallery overview. The old gallery is available here (overview) and here (user) for comparison.
A number of changes have happened to the gallery and the previews therein since the last revision of the layout:
- The previous three pages "My Gallery", "User Gallery" and "Session Gallery" have been merged into "Gallery".
- It is no longer possible to set a custom text for your user gallery since nobody used this feature in the previous layout. That kind of customization will probably return in the form of "Projects", an upcoming feature
- Less empty space between each session in the session list
- Larger session previews
- The list now defaults to 4x4 view in desktop mode but changes to 2x8 or even 1x16 if space is sparse (like on mobiles). Try resizing your window.
- Text is printed on top of the previews on a semi-transparent overlay rather than beneath them in order to save even more space and make the previews even larger
- Some of the session information is hidden and only pops up when you hower a session. This information is redundant with information displayed on the actual session page but still serves a purpose when you need to get a quick overview of things.
- A very rudimentary search feature was added that allows you to search by userid (And there's a "secret" mind trick in its graphical colour layout, let's see if anyone spots it). The old page had a search link but it pointed nowhere.
- The ""-bar had its graphical style improved
- Hitting "Next" now correctly removes "Your recent sessions" box and goes to the next page, even for people with a lot of uploaded sessions.
- "Next" is now preloaded by browsers that support it, allowing instant page switches to the next page
- Visual feedback for mouse users on hover, including transitions
- The position of each column in the grid now correctly stays the same rather than moving around a bit depending on length of title/author for the sessions presented.
- Previews are now JPEG interlaced, allowing very slow connections to stream a low-res version and then gradually improve the quality until the entire image has finished loading - if the browser supports it.
- The form factor for previews was changed slightly to better match the different aspects that we get
- The previews are selected from a center-weighted part of the image rather than the top in the cases where the aspect ratio of the session does not match the aspect ratio of the preview. This should provide more interesting previews in general.
- Technical: A new URL structure was introduced for preview thumbnail images
An example of the quality change for previews was posted earlier in the Server backend forum but it was made while developing this page, so here it is again:
The old previews were tiny and also lower quality, the new ones are larger and better quality and are scaled down in the browser to fit the specific platform on which they are viewed.