Joined: 6 May 05
I came across different types of issues. After a day of rendering parts for 142s and 143s, which took about 8 min each part, I started work on some 144s. While this in of itself worked just fine, my computer has downloaded over 80 144 units, and it takes about 2 hours to do one part. Thus, even with HT enabled, will take over 40 hours to run threw all the parts, that is assuming I suspend work on my other projects running. I have also noticed on the web site under \"serverstatus\", it calms the projects will be completed in under 6 hrs. Should I abort some of the units?
I also noticed that running 2 143 parts, plus all the other thing I have on my comp, 1.54GB of ram was being used, can we expect this to happen again in the future?
Is there some way that the number of processors in the system can be detected, can allocate based on amount of ram per CPU?
Say I have an Athlon 3200+ with a GB RAM, and the part takes 650MB RAM and another 250MB used for system resources, that would fit just fine. However, if I have a P4 3.2GHz w/ HT enabled, as I do, it takes about 1.5GB of memory, and so it will be swapping out to the HD a lot.
While I do have 2GB or RAM, I tested my system out w/ just 1GB of RAM and found out that, even with two WD Raptor HDs in stripe mode, with all the swapping my system was unable to keep the CPU busy, and I averaged only 40% utilization. It took 22-25 min to complete a unit instead of 6-9 min for project 143. This means that it took over twice as long to complete the two parts just because not everything was fitting into the main memory.
Joined: 16 Jun 04
I\'ll look into the part about RAM scheduling.